Skip to main content

It’s ok to leave a doctor who isn’t helping you






“ Well I better start planning my funeral “

I said aloud to my mom in a “joking “ matter  but was pierced with how real that statement felt after  we both sat through what felt like another failed appointment with my immunologist.  


I understood that I was .. And well am a “hard case . “Pretty severe CVID ( along with a plethora of other health issues ). And deathly allergic to IVIG .. aka the one treatment I absolutely need to keep me alive . 


But after another stint in the ICU , after another severe reaction to 

 the treatment I received 


All he had to offer was nervous laughter and the continuous statement of 


“ I don’t know what to do with you “

“ I don’t know what to do next “

“ I just don’t know “


I wanted to leave that appointment with a game plan ,  and all I left with was anxiety . 


After every appointment with him I had felt pretty hopeless

But this was a whole new level.


My IG levels were plummeting .

I had been catching every infection known to man .

I just about died from the treatment that’s suppose to save my life .


And all I get from the one person on this earth who was suppose to know how to help me is “ I don’t know “ 


Either my “funeral arrangement” thoughts weren’t far off…Or I really needed to consider making some major changes.


And these major changes would begin with switching immunologist. 


But I felt a sense  of loyalty to my doctor . I mean he was the one who diagnosed me .


And I thought to myself 

“ Maybe he was just having a bad day .”


But for months after every single appointment with him .  I had  felt hopeless . 


That’s more than just “ One bad day “ 


As I was sitting on the couch pouring out this internal struggle to my mom , debating on what to do next 


She asked me one question that changed everything. 


My mom mentioned “ You hired this doctor to do a job .. and is he actually doing it ?” 


Which changed my entire thought process as  I thought out loud . 


“If he was a cosmetologist, and after a couple of really good haircuts, he  was now giving me super ugly haircuts every time I saw him, Would I continue getting my hair cut from him? “



The answer was an obvious  NO! 


A lightbulb went off as I made the realization…


If I wouldn’t put up with a bad haircut .  Why am I putting up with countless bad health appointments with this provider . My health is more important than my hair .


I started scouring the internet looking for new immunologist that night . 


We have given Doctors the highest amount of trust out of any and every professional we hire. 


I mean we don’t come to them with a flat tire, toilets that need fixing, hair that needs taming, or a suit that needs alerting, 



We come to them, trusting them to fix…US!


We come to them weak, vulnerable, scared,  sick, sometimes almost  literally with our heart in our hands uttering one not so simple statement .

Heal me . 

And if you can’t heal me .

Help me at least feel better. 


And we gain a trust in these people who are trained to do this impossible task.


But when they don’t do the job they are hired for.

When they don’t try,

When they don’t listen,

When all they leave you with is

“ I don’t know “ and no other helpful, suggestions or options.


It is  just as bad as a plumber leaving you with a toilet that still doesn’t flush ,

Or a cosmetologist leaving you with a bad haircut, or half a haircut.


I’m not saying all doctors or horrible 

Or if they can’t heal you .. dump them.


I fully understand that the human body is WAY more complex than a houses plumbing system .


I’m not even saying leave them after one bad appointment  (if you had a bunch of great ones with them in the past)

Because Drs are human, and we all have our bad days. 

 

I’m saying, their job is to help you feel better, and sometimes the most helpful thing a doctor has said to me is… 

“ I dont know how to help you . So let’s send you to someone who might. “


Or “ I don’t know exactly what’s wrong or how exactly how to help you.  But that doesn’t mean I’m going to give up on you .  Let’s try this plan first , and  if that doesn’t work we will go back to the drawing board. “ 


If you leave appointment after appointment feeling hopeless.

Why are you still going to them? 


If they aren’t trying to help you, or sending you to someone who can.


They aren’t doing the job you have hired them to do. 


A doctor is done with your disease the second they close your file.  


You are the one who has to live with it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 


And you deserve help in that fight.

You deserve a provider who tries, cares, and gives you hope.


If a certain provider came to your mind as you read this, one who isn’t doing the things I listed above. It  just may be the time to switch. 


Never stop advocating for yourself! #smileon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

You can't judge a book, when you don't know the story

Looking at me would you guess my story? That I live in daily pain, that my biggest struggle in life is my health?  Would you be the one to look at me with a repulsed look, when I have to use a wheelchair because my joints just aren't letting me move that day?  Each day we judge people by appearance alone.. We look at the cover and decide whether or not we are going read the book, or treat the book like it wasn't even worth the glance at the cover.  I didn't realize, how true the old saying " you can't judge a book by its cover" is until moments in my life  I have become that book. Those situations have honestly made me better instead of bitter. By being judged, in sometimes very funny situations. It's has helped me learn how I should treat others. Here Are just a couple of my stories on this topic.  As You know physical pain has always been a part of my life. But it my 7th grade year everything changed.. My mark of