Skip to main content

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D ) 
I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid.

I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.
 I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to. 
In second grade I learned that wasn't the case... 
It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids"
Our teacher
had all of us kids get in a  giant line at the edge of the playground and told us to run as quick as we can to the kickball field that was on the other side of the playground. He started us off with the magic words " On your mark, get set, GO!". I pushed off with as much strength as my little legs would allow. My class mates effortlessly zoomed past me and I was left in the dust. My legs were THROBBING! I was in shock! Reality slapped me in the face as my little mind came to the resolution that, My classmates couldn't move that fast if they were in pain to, I must be the only one of my friends, maybe EVEN the only little girl in the world who's body hurt ALL THE TIME !
 Then to make things worse the unit on kickball started. That game ended up being my childhood nemesis. All my friends LOVED it, my body ached and throbbed during the whole game. I would find myself sitting by the old oak tree when it was my teams turn to kick and I would just pray that The teacher wouldn't notice that I never took my turn. And when we were put into the outfield, I would walk as far back into the outfield as I could. And i would stand tall and ready, honestly trying to be In the game, but then my legs would start THROBBING. so I would end up sitting in the outfield, watching butterfly's and praying that that little ball of red torture  would come no where near me! It seemed like more often then not the cards wouldn't be in my favor, and that stupid ball would fly towards me,  I would of course miss it. and be hated the rest of recess for " ruining the game". I realized during the next week That my friends wouldn't ask me to come play with them at recess because they were playing KICKBALL.  And if I did join them, I would be picked dead last, and then teased because I wasn't any good. Kickball, which I viewed as a great evil in the world was taking all my friends away from me! I decided I needed to go to great lengths to make kickballs reign of terror in my life come to an end! For a whole weekend I plotted what I could do to save my social life. As I was plotting that weekend I realized something.. Even though I was in pain, even though I was a spaz, I had one thing going for me. I WAS FUNNY!! 
That following Monday I walked confidently out to the kickball field. A big smile spread across my face when a classmate called out that It was time for the Captains to pick out their teams. It was time to put my plan into action!! Whenever the captain looked at me I pulled a funny face, or did a silly little dance. I ended up being picked in the middle!! I was OVERJOYED that I wasn't picked dead last! The plan was working!! Then it was my teams turn to kick. I didn't cower beside the old oak tree like usual. Instead I got near the front of the line. When it was my turn,  I kicked, and of course I missed the ball by a long shot.  But I made a joke about it before anyone else could! Their words couldn't hurt me if I made a joke about it first! They started laughing with me, not at me, IT WAS AWESOME!

That day I swore to myself I would never admit my body pain to anyone, that It would forever remain my " dirty little secret " and that I would just coast by on my humor for the rest of my days. And for 14 years of my life I did just That. 
Day after day I made up for my bodily pain, and lack of physical abilities with humor. At first it was completely a coping mechanism ( heck it still probably is lol)  But that discovery of humor ended up being one of the biggest blessings in my life, At a very young age it taught me that no matter what I faced, I could be strong, and find the humor in every difficult situation.
My humor helped me find my place among my peers, led me to actives I love to this day, singing, acting, and performing, and helped me build my confidence, I knew that even though I was physically weak. I was just as important and just as cool as any other kid, humor broke me even further out of my already cracked shell, I gained the confidence to talk to anyone and everyone! I was even the type of girl who had the guts to stand on top of my desk and preform to my class the latest song I learned in singing lessons. 
My plan of humor was basically flawless till the age of 14, when a teacher I trusted with my secret, forced me out of the chronic pain closet 

But that is a story for another time. ;) until then keep reading, stay strong and SMILE ON! 

Comments

  1. Your words will touch many people..I am very proud as I am sure your family is..keep ☺ smiling On!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I could visualize that whole experience. You are fun and funny. You are also one of the " strongest" spirits I know! Keep writing you will touch the lives of others. You touch mine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti