Skip to main content

When I got in trouble at school for Dressing as a " Special Olympian" on Athlete day

Haha :) I thought that I would share with you all a funny memory tonight.
Sometimes we learn a lot of things from an innocent mistake!!


So in my middle school we had " spirit week", so for that one week during the school year, each day we would come to school dressed as different things ( for example Pj day you were your pjs, rockstar day, you dress up as a rockstar ) During my sixth grade year, one of our spirit week days was " Athlete day", and I had absolutely no idea what to dress as. Sports hurt me, I had no athletes I admired cause I had never followed sports, and in all honesty the only piece of athletic clothing I owned were my brothers old PE Shorts.
 I racked my brain the entire weekend, thinking  about what athlete I was going to be, I searched my brain to see if there was an athlete I admired. Then on Sunday night when I was about to give up, because I just couldn't think of an athlete I admired, i thought of my uncle who has autism and ran in the special Olympics. All the sudden a light bulb went on and my perfect outfit came to me! I was bursting with excitement when told my mom about my idea, and she absolutely loved it!
That Monday I came to school in a cute top, PE shorts, and fun socks, and as announced to people that I was dressed as a " Special Olympian!" In my mind I thought this was about the greatest outfit ever, These were the kind of people I admired, Even thought these athletes had challenges in there day to day life. They were still able to go out, and do what they love! They gave me hope! But The second our schools Special Education teacher heard what I was dressed as. She took me out into the hall and chewed me out bigtime, She yelled at me and told me that "  I was making fun of people with disabilities, and continued to tell me over and over about "  how she  didn't get how a kind girl like me could do something so cruel!" I didn't understand what I did that was so mean, I truly admired special Olympians for 2 very special reasons. I didn"t tell people about my health issues back then, but I tried to explain to this teacher that I do have an uncle with autism who ran in the special Olympics, and that is why I am dressed this way.  She just didn't believe me and got madder!
So mad that she  had the called office call my my mom, tell her that I  was in big trouble,  So that the 3 of us could " talk" in her office! This was the first and only time my mom has ever had to come to the school because I was in trouble.
When my mom came, the special education  teacher literally had steam coming out of her ears, and I was crying because I just didn't know what I did that was so wrong.
When are " meeting"  started she accusingly asked my mom " Why  she would let me come to school dressed as something so " insensitive?"
But Instead of being the " tigress" my mom usually is. My mom just smiled at her, and responded calmly. Magee has a uncle with autism who used to actively participate in the special olympics, she thinks the world of him. Magee also has a lot of physical challenges and has had them her whole life, she basically physically disabled. So I thought that having her dress as a " special Olympian" and celebrating being different  was a great thing! I'm sorry if you don't feel the same.
The poor Special education teachers jaw hit the ground as her cheeks burnt bright red Her eyes widened as she tenderly grabbed my hand and said " Magee I am SO SORRY! I had absolutely no idea!!!!!! "
I wiped away my tears, told her I forgave her and gave her a hug. I understood that there was no possible way she could have known why I would choose this outfit , when I don't share about my physical struggles.
She then asked me if I was getting the help I need at school.  And in all honesty because of this situation
This amazing women who I've learned has the worlds biggest heart, ended up being one of my biggest advocates through out the rest of my grade school years. She helped me get all of the accommodations I needed, like being able to peer tutor in her class instead of taking a PE class. No matter what the situation was. She was always there to fight for me. She is honestly one of the reasons why I want to work with kids with medical challenges. To this day she still holds a very special place in my heart.

Through that honest mistake I most defiantly could have made an enemy.
But lucky enough, I have a great mom who help me make a friend.  A lot of life long grudges come from misunderstandings.  Take the time to see the conflicts in your life from 2 sides, talk things out, And always smile on :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti