Skip to main content

To Nurses everywhere : Thank You ❤️

During my time at the Mayo Clinic, I would always pass a sign that said, "To our patients, mayo is another word for hope." 
Some days I was honestly convinced Mayo was another word for Hell.

During one of my worst days there, I went to the Ambulatory infusion center to get my IV, and lucky enough I got one of my favorite nurses.


She greeted me with a HUGE smile, and said, "Hey Taylor! I sure have missed you!" 

(She was convinced I looked like Taylor Swift, so since the day I met her she always referred to me as  Taylor) 

We talked as she put in my IV. I poured my heart to her about how crappy my day had been, and she came back and talked to me whenever she had a break. 

My IV's typically ran up to 4 hours. couple hours in, she let me know when she was leaving for her lunch break. when she came back, she handed me a Kit-Kat and said, " I know you don't have any dietary restrictions,  so when I saw this candy bar I thought it might make your day! Remember you are the Kit to my Cat 😉." 





 

Just when I thought truly everyone in the medical profession, and maybe in this world, was callous and cruel, that little act of kindness literally restored my faith in humanity. 



I've seen multiple post lately about how nurses are heartless or just cruel things nurses have done. Believe me.. I have met some TERRIBLE nurses; the type who don't give a flip, who look like they're going to kill you whenever you ring your patient bell, and poke your veins with a vengeance.


But I've been lucky enough to come in contact with some amazing nurses, like that nurse at the Mayo Clinic. 

Nurses who have made me laugh on days that I thought were doomed to be full of misery.

Who have gone out of their way to make sure I was ok. 

Who have held my hand during the toughest times in my life, and have left a lasting imprint  on my heart. 

I have so many stories I could share about nurses who have touched my life. 

But for this blog post, I would just like to share a couple of my favorites. 


One of my absolute favorite memories is a time when I was getting my regular IV. 
The nurse came in to check on me, and I must have looked pretty bad, because she looked at me and said, "Sweetheart are you ok? You don't look very good!" I looked at her and responded with a sigh, "No I am not ok." Her eyes widened with concern because I NEVER say I'm not ok. 
She tenderly asked me what was wrong, and with a pain filled sigh I responded to her, "I just told the guy I like, that I like him through a text message, and all he responded was 'K 🙂',
what on earth am I supposed to do with that?!! This is TERRIBLE!!"

The rest of the time I was there getting my IV, that nurse, and a couple of other nurses that heard what was going on, would come in when they had a free moment. They would then help me decipher what this boy's text messages truly meant, and gave me advice on how to respond to him. 

From the many hours I've spent in the hospital I've learned that nurses are always ready to help no matter what the situation. 
Through this experience, and a couple others, I have also learned that the nurses at my local hospital are also fantastic dating coaches! 


Nurses also see us at our absolute worst. I've often wondered how nurses keep their cool during some of the crazy situations they are put in, and how many embarrassing moments they witness. 
 
One night in particular, I had my most embarrassing, non-drug induced moment in the hospital.. And I was so grateful for the nurse that got me through it. 

That night, when I came to the ER, I was super sick. I don't exactly remember what was wrong but my stomach killed, I was pretty dizzy, really nauseous, and just super weak. The Doctor wanted me to get some CAT Scans done of my stomach, so the nurse helped me into a wheelchair, and then I was wheeled to the little room where you change into a gown. The nurse helped me up, and then left while I changed into a gown. As I was changing I got sick, and let's just say what I put into the empty "used gown" garbage can, definitely wasn't a used gown. 

The nurse knocked on the door and asked in a concerned voice, "Magee  are you ok?" I responded that I was, but I apologized profusely. I felt SO bad and was SO EMBARRASSED that because of me they were going to have to clean the "used gown" garbage can. The nurse chuckled and said, "Magee.. it's fine. Don't even worry about it!" 

Then a few minutes later I stated out loud in frustration.. "Dang it!"
And once again with a bit more worry on her voice, the nurse knocked on the door and asked me if I was ok. 
Now I was really embarrassed, and I knew the X-ray guy was RIGHT there, so I didn't want want to say out loud what had just happened. My cheeks flushed bright red. I opened the door just a crack, and motioned for the nurse to come closer. 
She came to the open crack of the door  and I said to her as quietly as I could,
"My BRA is all tangled up in my IV pole, can you help me?!"

I could see her trying to choke back  laughter as she came into the little room and spent about a good 6 minutes untangling my bra. 
Then with a smile on her face she helped me up from the little bench, let me balance on her until I got to the wheelchair, and when we got to the CT machine she helped me get up and onto the bed. During that whole time she and The X-ray tec talked with me about life, helped me feel comfortable, and acted as though nothing out of the ordinary had even happened. 

You have no idea how grateful I was for both of them that night. Especially for that nurse. I am a very proud girl, and that night I was so scared, so sick, and SO embarrassed! She literally got me through that night. 

In all honesty, in many crazy situations, and in many different ways, nurses have helped me during my hardest days. 

Sometimes it's little ways, like a Kit Kat, or like at the Mayo Clinic, or when the nurses would help me and my friend Rachel schedule our IVs at the same time. They even helped us do an "IV photo shoot" to help pass the time. 





 
 

I remember one special day in particular. Medically I felt like absolute crap, and all I had gotten that day was medically bad news. That day I felt the exact opposite of brave. It wasn't like usual where I told myself that, even thought this is hard, "I can handle this." On this day I felt like on this "medical journey", I didn't know if I could take another step. 
I forced a smile to my face as I gave the nurse my IV order. As she walked me to my room. She smiled at me and said, "Magee I admire you so much. Even with everything you go through, you smile and you're positive. You never give up." 

She will never know how badly I needed to hear those words that day. 


Nurses have  a very special chance to touch people's lives. Doctors also play a big, amazing part in medicine, (but that will be saved for another blog post. )
 
But nurses in particular  are the ones who are right by the patient's side during some of scariest times in their life. 

We rely so much on nurses during the worst times in our lives that I think we often forget that they are human. 
Sometimes they're going to make mistakes, they're going to say the wrong thing. But in the end, the love most nurses put into their work, is extraordinary. 

To the the Nurses who have greatly impacted my life, thank you for at times just letting me vent, you must have had so much going on in your life, and in your day. But you took the time to listen, and show me that there still is A LOT of good in this world. 

Thank you for sharing story a story about your life, so that for a brief moment I could escape the pain of my illness, and the fear that seemed to be the only thing on my mind. 

Thank you for reminding me that even though my situation is tough, and the furthest thing from fair, that I am strong, and will get through this. 

Thank you despite all that's going on for being there.

Thank you for showing me that you cared. 

Throughout the years, patients might not always remember who you are, or what you looked like. But I promise they will always remember how you made them feel. 

And to Great Nurses everywhere. Thank you for making an amazing. Life changing impact to patients like me. 
You will truly never know all the good you do! 

Thank a Nurse, they truly deserve it, and always smile on ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti