Skip to main content

Dear future husband, from a girl who is learning to love herself despite her chronic illness.

 

Dear future husband: 


It's been a while since I've written you, and boy have I changed. 


 I am no longer the girl who is tethered to an IV pole and slowly waisting away. 


I'm no longer the girl who is terrified to even think of the future,  


because for weeks,  I had been praying  that my body could just hold on one more day.


I may be sick. But I'm no longer (currently) dying.


For the first time, in a long time. 

I'm allowing myself to dream of my future. 

Because I believe I may  actually get one.


As I'm dreaming of what's to come, you have popped into

My head so many times.


I wonder what your going to look like. 

How we are going to meet, or if we have already met,  and what our story will be. 


I still wonder what it's going to be like for you. 

To love someone who will never be healthy.


To love someone

Who physically struggles even on her best health days.  

And is lucky to survive her worst health days. 


 

I wonder how your going to handle the thousands of unknowns that will come because of my illness. 

Two of them being children, and my life expectancy. 



I fear how you will be able to handle the worst parts of my life.  


Surgeries, hospital stays, blood draws, IVs, tumors, scans, medicine, brain fog,

inflammation, nausea, vomiting, flares, bloating, drs appointments, medication, side effects, insurance coverage ( or lack there of), giant question marks when it comes to my health,  and just plain old bad news  


They are all "normal" things in my not so normal life. 


But it's going to be a whole new terrifying world for you. 


And a part of me will always fear that my illness, and all that comes with it will be to much for you to handle.


Often times it's to much for me to handle.

But I didn't have a choice in this.


You do.


I do have fears when it comes to you.  


But I no longer fear you.


For years, I've avoided serious relationships, because I've feared how my illness would impact others lives, and how their reaction to it would affect mine. 


I've feared that they may even fall in love with the tall, outgoing, happy go lucky  girl with bright eyes, silly laugh and a big smile.


But the second my chronic illness, and all the " broken pieces" that it's given me start to show. 


That they would run,  ( like so many others) 


Instantly forgetting the happy go lucky girl with the bright eyes and the big smile 

and only see Me for the things that I have no control over. 


So I built a wall,


 I guarded it with sarcastic humor, and the "Friend zone".


 I was Determined to not let anyone get close enough to me to see my broken pieces.


But since I last wrote you I've realized something.

Something very important...


Your broken too.


Every person on this earth is broken in some way.


Being chronically ill, just makes some of my "breaks" more visible.


 Your going to have things you hate about yourself 


Situations in your life are going to feel like they are way to much to handle.


You are going to have battles in your life that all to often feel like never ending wars.


You are going to have weaknesses 


You are going to have things about you that I have a hard time dealing with.


But loving you, 

broken pieces and all is going to be worth it.


Just like loving me, broken pieces and all.. is going to be worth it.


 Throughout this journey I've learned, and I finally believe 

That we are so much more than our broken pieces.


We are infinitely more, than the things we hate about ourselves. 


So I'm working on taking down that wall.


Brick by brick,

So when that fateful day eventually  comes...


I'll be ready to let you in.



Love Always,


Your Future Wife.























 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti