Skip to main content

Scars

 Today was my first "outing" since cancer surgery #2. 
Being the incredibly vain person I am 😂 I had to have the perfect shoes to go with my "I'm actually leaving the house" outfit. as I was sitting on the floor going through
My shoe bucket 
( yes I have a shoe bucket😜) 
And completely putting strain on the poor giant scar on my back.
I found my old ballet slipper .
And when I saw it.. I couldn't help but smile.

My body has always been broken.
But when I was younger, and healthier. 
One of my favorite things in
This world to do was to dance ballet.
I was far from talented 
And even further from graceful 

But dancing made me feel like I was in a small way overcoming my greatest weakness. 

At the studio.. When I would see older dancers, I would notice that their ballet slippers were always completely beat up. Full of holes, black Marks, and scuffs 

And I wanted ballet slippers that looked just like theirs.


To me beat up ballet shoes were the sign of a great dancer. 

Every scratch and blemish on those shoes, proved that they worked hard to get to
The level of talent that they were at. 

So I practiced my little butt off. I worked at my pirouettes, grand jetès, Rond de jambes, and proper pliès as much as my body would allow. 

All in the hopes that if I worked hard enough I would earn the right to have holes in my ballet slippers . 

I remember one day when I was about 12. I was in class, and I went to put on my ballet slipper.  And I saw that there was a hole starting to form right on top of my big toe on the slipper. 

And it was one of the proudest days of my young life. 

No matter how hard I try. 
I can't get bring myself to get rid of these ballet slippers.

Because even though I was far from a talented dancer. 

I earned every scratch, scuff and hole In those slippers.

They are my ballet badge of honor. 

Now my days as a dancer are over. 
And instead of idolizing a pair of shoes that are beat up and  full of scars.

I live in a body that's beat up, and full of scars. 

I wonder if one day, I'll stare at my scars, with the same look of love and admiration that I give these beat up ballet slippers.

That, when I look at my scars I won't see these lines across my body as broken pieces , or imperfections.

But I will see them, as a badge of honor.. because I worked my little butt of, and I EARNED every bruise, blemish, stretch mark, and scar on my body. 

We all come to this world perfect and unblemished. 

And aren't our scars proof, That we came here,
We worked hard, 
And we  have earned who we have become?

Keep moving forward, and always smile on ❤




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti