Skip to main content

Paging Dr. Yang

 




When I was at the Mayo Clinic for 7 weeks last year.

I went determined that I was going to meet an adorable guy who was also riddled with life threating illness, and  that was going to be my silver lining to my... 


"Travel out of state for medical care because I'm litterally dying hospital stay"


But when I got to the Mayo Clinic I was pretty sure I was the only person under the age of 70 that was being treated there.  


I felt like I may be the only young adult in this faculty, possibly even in My side of

the hemisphere that was dealing with my type of health issues.


That was until one faithful day in the infusion waiting room I met Rachael

She had a big brown eyes, an even bigger smile,

She was 2 years younger than me. 

Super spunky 

Loved dogs

And was a fellow IV dependent medical mystery.



From the moment we met an instant friendship was formed.


We would schedule our IVs on the same day, ask to share a hospital room 

and just spend hours taking, laughing, walking the halls, taking selfies, playing cards, sharing sick kid  " battle stories"

listening to music, 

and playing with Plato.


One day we even got our favorite nurse to do an " IV photo shoot" with us to help pass the time.  - our IVs were a minimum of 2-3 hours long. 


 Those pictures are still some of my favorite pictures in existence! 


 

( more pictures at the end of blog post 😘)


She was often my stress relief during one of the most stressful times of my life. 


 One day in particular...I will never forget...


Rachael  told me that "there was this Male nurse who was working that day that was SUPER attractive, and she hoped he was going to be the one who put in her IV today, because he was hot enough to be on greys anatomy. And I just had to see him."


( Again we were both no stranger to hospitals.. drowning in old people.

so I was excited for the chance to see a little eye candy 😂



For the first time in a long time. " sick chick luck struck" and Rachel got the hunky male nurse as the one to put in Her IV. 


I was sitting on her bed already 10 minutes into my IV 


And as  he " hooked her up" we both just stared and shamelessly flirted with this male nurse. 


As he turned around to grab gloves, or grab an ultra sound machine, 

we would attempt to mouth out words to each other, 

trying to express how good looking he was, without either of us getting caught by him.



After he left, we both bust up laughing, and totally agreed that he is defiantly hot enough to be on greys anatomy.


( Which to no surprise was our shared favorite TV show)  


We of course started taking about Greys anatomy, 

and then All the sudden Rachael got this michevious look on her face, checked her phone calendar. And exclaimed 

" YES! I think DR. YANG. Is working today!"


I looked at her confused, and she told me 


" There is a nurse who works here every Wednesday who looks JUST like CHRISTINA YANG  from greys anatomy,  she is basically her twin.. you HAVE to see her for yourself!" 



So we both grabbed our IVs poles, went into the hall,

And began hunting the whole ambulatory infusion center for " Dr. Yang" 


The nurses kept on asking us what In the world we were doing.

And Rachael would just smile and sweetly respond " oooh we are just getting our exercise for the day!"


Little did they know we were two girls on a mission.


After 10 minutes of waking around, and dragging our IV poles.

we were about to turn the corner to go to the nurses station, and Rachel stopped. Grabbed my arm and excitedly whispered to me  " LOOK.. look.. I FOUND HER! I found Dr. Yang!" 

I peaked around the corner, and I just about died laughing.


I saw a women who looked EXACTLY like Christina Yang from greys anatomy. Same face, same facial expressions, same mannerisms, same everything!


 

( picture of " Christina Yang" from greys anatomy) 

 

So we sat there in the middle of the hall, trying.. ( and failing ) to silently laugh.. 


We were literally laughing so hard, tears were coming out of our eyes and we had to hold on to Our IV poles for support.


The nurses stared at us 

in an entertained and confused wonder.


Like they were debating if we were just having a strangely good time in the Hospital, 

Or if the combination of  dehydration and malnutrition had finally hit us both hard and we had offically lost it 😂.


We somehow managed to get our butts back to our room. 

Then We collapsed on the bed... joyfully exhausted.


After, we both Looked out the window of our 5th floor room, 

And stared in complete awe.


Because right before us was one of the most gorgeous sunsets I had ever seen in my life.


As we were in a Hospital room, hooked to life saving machines, and physically felt like absolute garbage.


We gazed at the sunset, and talked about how much we loved sunsets. Because sunsets are a daily reminder that we are so lucky to be alive, and just how lucky we were to get to continue to live, despite of our bodies that kept on continually trying to kill us.


This It may seem like a small and insignificant memory to you.

But that was honestly one of my favorite days in my life!


People think that's impossible to feel joy in a place that's full of so much pain.


But I've honestly met some of the happiest people, and had some of my favorite memories while I've been trapped in a place I truly didn't want to be, and fighting for a

Life I wasn't quite sure I'd have.


 I think when your in that terrible situation.. 


When your so sick it seems as thought  hospital and doctors offices are your second home.. 

And your life is full of more bad news than good...


It makes you 13 times more grateful for every good moment you Get.


Because you truly will never  realize how many gifts Life gives you on a daily basis, until Life shows you  that it can take those gifts away. 




Until next time.

Stay strong. Appreciate every day,  And always SMILE ON! 












  





 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

You can't judge a book, when you don't know the story

Looking at me would you guess my story? That I live in daily pain, that my biggest struggle in life is my health?  Would you be the one to look at me with a repulsed look, when I have to use a wheelchair because my joints just aren't letting me move that day?  Each day we judge people by appearance alone.. We look at the cover and decide whether or not we are going read the book, or treat the book like it wasn't even worth the glance at the cover.  I didn't realize, how true the old saying " you can't judge a book by its cover" is until moments in my life  I have become that book. Those situations have honestly made me better instead of bitter. By being judged, in sometimes very funny situations. It's has helped me learn how I should treat others. Here Are just a couple of my stories on this topic.  As You know physical pain has always been a part of my life. But it my 7th grade year everything changed.. My mark of