Skip to main content

God Works in Mysterious Ways





Last summer, I had a TERRIBLE, painful,  awful  cough that just wouldn't go away.

At first my pulmonologists  guessed it was my windpipes collapsing, or possibly incredibly bad asthma. But through scans and testing, and treatments none  of the diagnosis's seemed to be right, and the cough just wouldn't go away.


I ended up having to get a bronchoscope. 

 Which is a procedure where they shove this giant tube with a little camera on it.

either down your nose, or throat, and feed it into your lungs. And do an array of test that involve, watter, coughing, and a bunch of other unpleasant things.


This procedure is typically done under "twilight sedation". 

Which means you are "awake" during the procedure. But so drugged and out of it you aren't really aware, don't feel pain or discomfort, and don't remember an ounce of the procedure when you "wake up".  


But since my life apparently runs by "Murphy's law. "

My paralyzed digestive system doesn't digest ANYTHING quickly.

So my body didn't fully digest the sedation.


And I was FULLY awake and aware for the procedure.


I cringed as they repeatedly tried to shove the tube down my nose and it just wouldn't fit..


Tried not to gag and squirm as they fed the tube down my throat and into my lungs.


And then when my doctor, ( let's call him Dr. A.)

Did one of the first test 

Where he poured WATER  down the tube, that was IN MY LUNGS, and then ironically asked me to breathe.


I lost it.


It was the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced in my life. 

It felt like I was being "water boarded" ( because I basically was.. water was being fed straight into my lungs !)


Tears streamed down my face, as I coughed, gagged, writhed,  spat, and continuously slapped the side of my hospital bed in an attempt to show the dozens of medical professionals surrounding me that I defiantly was NOT ok. 


As I was doing this.

Dr. A started to FREAK out.

I remember him anxiously stating, ( nearly screaming) 

to one of his assistants. 

" SHE IS STILL AWAKE?!! bump up her sedation NOW!!" 

A minute or 2 passed ( that felt like hours) 

And I was still coughing, writhing, gagging, and feeling like I was dying.


And Dr A. Kept on exclaiming .

" raise  her sedation..  RAISE HER SEDATION".


I heard an army of footsteps scatter around me.


And thankfully that is the last thing  I remember during that procedure.



I "woke up" with my mom by my side in the recovery room, and started bawling as soon as the nurse left from the trauma of it all.


And to make matters worse.

In the bronchoscope they weren't able to truly discover why I had this cough.


( they guessed it was from nerve damage in my throat after years of not being able to keep food down because of gastroparesis)


And to add a "poisonous cherry"  on top of the "crap cake"   That was one of the worst days of my life.


On the way home,

 I felt this awful pain in my lungs, so bad that took my breathe away. 

And it continuously got worse.

The pain got so bad that we called the hospital where I got the bronchoscope done,

and they ordered a CT of my Lungs to be done at my local hospital, to make sure that one of my lungs wasn't punctured. 


( I live about an hour and a half away from the hospital

I got the bronchoscope done at)


So after I long painful car ride.  I got home, got the CT, and in the discovered that I had not one.. but 2 air pockets ( pneumothoraxes) 

trapped in my lungs) 

And there was nothing they could do but watch them.

And have me come into the ER of the pain got any worse.




So I came home traumatized. In a world of pain, having litterally one of the worst days of my life.

And tears were just streaming down my face and wouldn't stop.


So I decided to call 2 of my neighbors who are the same religion I am..  LDS. 


(Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later  Day Saints aka The Mormon Church ) 


and asked them if they would give me a Blessing ,

 (which is like a special prayer for healing and comfort given by the proper authority to those who are ill and or in discomfort) 


And miracle enough. After the blessing the pain minimized enough. That I was finally able to sleep.


But the biggest miracle was when I woke up the next day.

And my cough was completely GONE! 


I remember waking up , not coughing, and happy tears just streamed down my face.


Because that was the first morning in 3 months I Hadn't woke up coughing!


And the first time in 3 months I had the privilege of hearing complete silence.


My nightmare of a cough never returned.


I have had many blessings before, and had learned that sometimes are all loving Heavenly Father doesn't take away your pain, because there are things you have to gain from it, and miracles that will happen because of what you will learn from the pain.


But in this Situation,

God took away my cough, he took away the awful pain from The double pneumothorax.

And gave me a miracle



The thing was, I wasn't sure how I was going to explain that miracle at my bronchoscope follow up in 2 days without sounding crazy!

These were most likely men of science, not men of God.

And I wasn't quite sure how they would take it when I told them that a literal miracle took away the awful cough that they had been working tirelessly for 3 months to destroy.



So 2 days later, I went to my appt. with my pulminoligist for a follow up after my bronchoscope


  ( and I still wasn't truly sure how to tell them how my cough went away without sounding crazy) 


But when the PA Came we learned that he is LDS ( the same religion I am. ( A member of The Church  of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.. aka The Mormon Church)

and  me and my mom told him the truth, that after my bronchoscope I was in a TERRIBLE amount of pain.

So I got a blessing from my neighbor  

And. miraculously the next day  I woke up and my 3 month cough was gone.


He just laughed and said " You  should of got a blessing 3 months ago 😉! God works in mysterious ways!


Then He listen to my lungs, and they sounded great.


At the end of the appointment he told us that he wasn't quite sure how Dr. A was going to take this..

Because  he knew Dr. A was very religious, but he wasn't quite sure what religion he was.


Litterally a few moments later Dr. A walked in with a big smile, shook my hand. And then looked at me now complete shock and said " WOW Your Cough IS gone!" And then started goofing around and said " Didn't you know I put a new pair of lungs in for you when I was down there 😉 my PA is never going to doubt that I have the healing touch ever again!"


Then his PA Busted up laughing  and said.. " Now Dr A,  as you know in Mormon culture they give blessings to the sick. And her Cough honestly went away the morning after she got one of those "


Drs A"s eyes went wide and you could just tell his Dr brain was hurting so bad as he exclaimed  " NO... ANOTHER ONE?!!" 


Apparently that same day. someone else came In who's cough was a complete medical mystery, and their cough also went away after getting a blessing 😂


Dr A was in Pure shock.. litterally staring at me wide eyed and slack jawed, and me, my mom, and the PA were all laughing our guts out  at his response 


Then Dr A told us 

" Hey I read the Koran, I pray, drink the wine, whatever . I believe God makes stuff like this happen. 

But like how when you pray and also study, you do better on a big test at school. 

You did the work and went

To the Dr, so the work you put in that must be part of the reason God help you get better 😂.


The whole room erupted in laughter as we finshed the appointment and I got My card for a follow up  in 3 months. 


Quite honestly I didn't stop laughing for a good 10 Minutes after the appointment was over.




It was, and still is the funniest Drs appointment I have ever been to.



Every time I think of that appointment, a smile erupts on my face, and I let out a couple of chuckles.


Sometimes, God lets a test, turn into a testimony.

Other times he gives you miracles, and reminders that through him all things are possible.


And (atleast in my life,) he always seems to give you moments, and memories.

That outweigh the bad times you experience.


 But Heavenly fathers way, even though hard to understand in the moment.

Is always what was meant to be.


And through my life I am continuously learning the fact 

" That God works in mysterious and wonderful ways".






Have faith. And always SMILE ON ❤️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti