Skip to main content

How teaching me “ Verbal Come Backs “ was The Best Thing My Mother taught me as a child with a disability.


The world isn’t made for little girls who have broken bodies.


My illness has always been invisible. 

But I have always been in constant pain,  extremely uncoordinated, and unable physically do what my peers can do.


And even in elementary school. 

Kids can smell differences like that 

Like a Shark to blood.


In 1st grade when recess was EVERYTHING, and all of my friends began to want to play sports.


(Something I have never been gifted at, or honestly physically capable of doing. )


I thought I was doomed to be an utter social outcast! 


Like for example when my friends would all want to play kick ball.

I would HIDE behind the tree,  

Cringe when people made me take my turn.

And try not to cry when people openly commented about how awful I was. 

( Because they didn’t know  how truly hard I was trying!) 



( this was the story when I tried ANY SPORT , or anything that required an ounce of athletic ability)


But my dear mother realized something, that I didn’t really quite understand at my young age.


That even though I wasn’t as physically capable as my peers.

I was a natural performer, and incredibly quick witted.


So noticing how much this was affecting me. 


my dear, sweet, service oriented angel of a mother. 

( who has WAY more spice to her than people who don’t know her would ever realize 😂) 


Taught me how to laugh at myself 

And most importantly Taught me the art of the “ Verbal comeback”


Yes.. you heard the right.. my MOM taught me how to talk back 😂. 


And it was the best thing she could have ever taught me 


I would tell her situations at school that invovled people being mean about my disability.


And we would litterally come up with come backs

And rehearse them in the house.

Or in the car.


So I would be prepared for when the situation came my way.


I remember one time.

It must have been in about 5th grade 

I was attempting some kind of sport at recess and one of my classmates 

Started commenting about just how stupid and uncoordinated I looked. 


So it it led to a conversation very similar to this..


Class mate : “ You  look really stupid and aren’t good at doing that. 

Me: “ My cousin has a pet goldfish”

Classmate : “ ( confused).  “ Why did you say that “

Me :  Because by telling me I looked stupid..  I thought we were taking about things that truly don’t matter”  


As you can imagine that shut my classmate up pretty quick.. and I can’t tell you how many THOUSANDS of well crafted comebacks I had, and used for situations just like that.



Kids are mean. 

They always have been and always will be.

Some kids pushed and shoved.

But my mom taught me to defends myself In a different way. 


My greatest weapon was my tongue.


And to those who think it’s a terrible thing to teach your children to 

“ talk back “  is the WORST thing in the world.


You are completely and utterly mistaken.


I could have never defended myself physically.

I knew that, my mom knew that, anyone who knew me new that.


And I was never rude first. I never threw the first “verbal punch”


I only used words to defend myself


But a kid needs a way to defend themselves.  Or their confidence will be utterly uprooted before it has a chance to fully grow. 


 And learning  how to “talk back” and defended myself verbally 


Gave me CONFIDENCE.

I no longer felt like the weakest kid in my class 


( even though physically I most definitely was!)



Learning how to “talk back” gave me courage to laugh at Myself and find humor in the things I look stupid at Doing.


I would often point out just how dumb I looked before any one else did. 


Because I knew I could verbally destroy anyone who tried to tare me down.


( and believe me when your a 8 year old throwing “come backs”

 Is like knives to anyone who tries to tear you down.. Bullying ends quickly)


And most importantly it taught me that just because I didn’t have the strengths my peers did.


It didn’t mean I didn’t have different strengths that were just as or even more powerful! 


Sticks and Stones may break bones.

But Learning the power of Words is what truly saved me.



Being a sick kid.

The world isn’t in your favor.

And as you get older.

You find a deeper realization that the world  the world is FAR from

kind.

And isn’t made to “adapt” to your health challenges or what you need.

You have to find ways to adapt your life to fit in this world.



And I’m so grateful my mother taught me to defend myself and in so many ways gave me the Arsenal I needed 

To not only survive. But emotionally thrive.


Even while growing up in a body that was trying to Kill me. 



Until  next post 


Stay strong, and always 

#smileon🐷


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti