Skip to main content

Finding Faith









( this post was previously published on www.sickchicks.com)


I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For as long as I can remember, I was taught that I was a Child of God, that the Heavenly Father loved me, that life had a purpose and a plan, and that my worth was divine. But that knowledge and those answers weren’t truly mine until I became sick.

When I got sick, for the first time in my life, I questioned my faith.
I questioned if there was a point to this life, if my pain could have a purpose, and why bad things happened to good people. I questioned if God truly loved me, (because if he loved me why would he let me be so sick?) if my illness was some sort of wrath filled punishment, because I wasn’t “good enough,” or if He just didn't care that I suffer. I honestly got to the point where I questioned if there was even a God at all.

As I began this eight year long quest to find a diagnosis, I went on a simultaneous one to find/ get to know God. And even though I am still in the thick of trying to find a diagnosis, I have most definitely found God along with the answers to those spiritual questions I had been yearning for .

The thing is. when it comes to Faith, the evidence will never be “concrete.” There is no blood test, imaging, or EKG that will tell you God is real, life has a purpose, and that your faith is worthwhile. Because that “evidence“ and that faith, comes through experiences and feelings. And once I experienced them, there was no way I could ever deny them.

For example, the day I truly learned that there is a God, and that he loves me limitlessly, was the exact same day I convinced myself he truly must not exist: the day before I was given my first NJ tube.

I remember lying on that hospital bed, feeling like I could honestly die in that ER bay.
I remember over and over telling myself, that God must not exist, because someone all powerful who supposedly loved me would never let me feel like this! My hope was gone, my faith was demolished, my body was just barley hanging on, and my world had never felt so dark. But a still small voice kept gnawing inside of me, begging, and pleading me to pray. So, with nothing to loose, I bowed my head and absolutely poured my whole soul out in prayer. I felt this warmth, and this love that I had never felt anything like before. It was like all those parts of my soul, that were so black, were all the sudden bursting with light. And even though I had never been so physically weak, that week and a half in the hospital, I was able to move forward with a strength that most definitely wasn't my own.

Funnily enough, it seems like all of my major “ faith affirming moments” have happened in a similar way. My most fervent prayers have been said and answered while lying in an MRI bed and I discovered the purpose to this earthy life, right before I was wheeled into a surgery that could have ended my life.  Another time at the Mayo clinic, when I honestly didn't have the physical, emotional, or mental strength to move forward, and wanted to return to my heavenly home I was given, strength, hope, and quite honestly angels, while sitting in a tiny little hospital chapel.

I believe that whether your world is full of darkness, or bursting with light, that God is there, cheering you on, mourning when you mourn, and standing there with arms wide open, just waiting for you to come to Him and ask for His help.

Some people have told me that their trials, and especially their illness, has destroyed their faith. However for me it is through the experiences I’ve had because of my chronic illness that I have found the answer to every single one of the questions I had when my health “journey” began regarding faith. And I can honestly say without my faith, I wouldn’t be who I am today, and I honestly don’t believe I would even be here today .

I will never be grateful for my illness, but I will always be grateful for the hope, strength, and most importantly the faith it led me to finding. 

- Smile Magee #smileon🐷

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

You can't judge a book, when you don't know the story

Looking at me would you guess my story? That I live in daily pain, that my biggest struggle in life is my health?  Would you be the one to look at me with a repulsed look, when I have to use a wheelchair because my joints just aren't letting me move that day?  Each day we judge people by appearance alone.. We look at the cover and decide whether or not we are going read the book, or treat the book like it wasn't even worth the glance at the cover.  I didn't realize, how true the old saying " you can't judge a book by its cover" is until moments in my life  I have become that book. Those situations have honestly made me better instead of bitter. By being judged, in sometimes very funny situations. It's has helped me learn how I should treat others. Here Are just a couple of my stories on this topic.  As You know physical pain has always been a part of my life. But it my 7th grade year everything changed.. My mark of

The Struggles of Writing a Dating Profile When You Have a Life Threatening Illness.

  Let’s face it. The days of meeting the man of your dreams “organically”. Are long gone. It could be the most picturesque “ Rom com “ movie moment. You could be the most gorgeous girl in the world, wearing a dress that makes you feel like an absolute 10. You make a calculated move. And walk directly past your dream man,  But  he  won’t even notice you. Because 9/10 times  He was checking his Instagram, sharing a new meme ,  or chuckling at a new video on the Tik tok , and didn't even realize you were there  In a society of ducked heads staring into phones. When it comes to finding a date, and potentially finding the love of your life. You have to be “on screen” to be seen. I may be only 25 But lately I’ve definitely been hit byThis harsh reality. Living in a small town where either all my friends have babies, or are desperately searching for someone to call them “ baby” I’ve felt a shadow looming over my shoulders. Whispering in my ear saying “ You need to star