Skip to main content

You can't judge a book, when you don't know the story








Looking at me would you guess my story? That I live in daily pain, that my biggest struggle in life is my health? 
Would you be the one to look at me with a repulsed look, when I have to use a wheelchair because my joints just aren't letting me move that day? 


Each day we judge people by appearance alone.. We look at the cover and decide whether or not we are going read the book, or treat the book like it wasn't even worth the glance at the cover. 


I didn't realize, how true the old saying " you can't judge a book by its cover" is until moments in my life  I have become that book. Those situations have honestly made me better instead of bitter. By being judged, in sometimes very funny situations. It's has helped me learn how I should treat others.

Here Are just a couple of my stories on this topic. 


As You know physical pain has always been a part of my life. But it my 7th grade year everything changed.. My mark of womanhood arrived and my body went completely out of wack.. The pain I had been feeling my whole life morphed into my own personal monster, that seemed to grow stronger by the month. Things that use to only give me mild discomfort, like standing in the lunch line for a long time, became a grueling test of endurance. Being me I would try to find a way to make this easier to deal with.  At every chance possible I would crack a joke, and start talking with someone so I could hop in the line and cut as close to the front of the line as I could. A Few times a tattling tween would rat me out to that weeks lunch monitor. If I was lucky and the lunch montior knew me I could keep my stolen spot with a bit of quick wit and a smile.. Our school had a strict " no cutting policy" and It was almost to easy to keep my stolen spot, as if those blessed lunch monitors who knew me, knew my secret, and knew how badly I really needed that spot up front.. But whenever a new lunch monitor rolled into town I was sent to the back of the massive line faster than you could say "tater tots". A few times   I was able to convince the other " Rebels" at the back of the line that sitting in the back of the line was the " cool" thing to do. But most of the time, I would stand in the back, with this look of pure anguish on my face, and all those kids in the back would stare at me dumbstruck. Wondering why the most talkative, happy, girl in the class was looking like she was in a line for execution.  

People upfront told me that they thought I was a brat for cutting in line all the time.. I have to admit it bothered me, but I just shook it off. I tried not to care about their opinion. I was doing what I needed to do.. But I wonder what those kids and lunch room monitors would have thought, if they had known my story. Would their thoughts and actions have changed? 

A more current moment that involves this kind of situation was the first time I had to use a wheelchair in Costco. 
That day I didn't really want to use the chair. I was super embarrassed to admit I need help, and wheel around some where super public where someone I know might see me But my knees and hip were seriously out of commission and it gave me no choice. At the entrance of the store I hobbled into a wheelchair and put a smile on my face. I was determined to make the best out of this situation. I wheeled to the book section as my mom started the hunt for this months supply of bulk groceries. I could feel my fellow shoppers eyes boring into the back of my head. I would just look at the ones I could see staring and smile, acting as though this was an everyday occurrence. A few brave shoppers decided it wasn't right for a girl who looks like me to be in a wheel chair. This sweet old couple asked me if I was in the chair for a school project. When I told them no, and the real reason I was in the chair. There eyes widened and they backed away from me like I was a ticking time bomb that was about to explode. A women asked me in a mocking tone, " what's wrong with you?!" When I explained my medical situation her jaw was dropped to the floor. (I have to admit I got a lot of satisfaction out of that.) In my hour in the book section, a handful of people questioned why I was using the chair, like seeing a girl my age in a wheelchair, was as rare seeing a 2 headed dog that was waking on its hind legs. I would explain my situation, but no one seemed to truly get it. I was pretty frustrated, after about 40 minutes of this, and then and old cowboy and his wife walked into the book section. I was just innocently reading the back of the book when the old cowboy shouted at me. " Why do they let a young healthy thing like you use a chair, you don't need it!! It should be given to an old man like me, scoot over and let me sit with you, at my age I NEED the chair" 
In response I pointed to my lap, patted it , smiled and said " You can sit RIGHT here!" The old Cowboys eyes went wide with shock, as he grabbed his wife's hand, to this day I have never seen an old couple move as quickly as they did! To this day I still bust up laughing whenever I think of that situation 

Moments like this have happened numerous times throughout my life, and I'm sure will continue to happen through out my life.. But those with invisible illness aren't the only ones who are judged by there "cover". I have a friend who is one of the smartest people I have ever met, but she has never been judged for her smarts, just been told she will never accomplish much because of the color of her skin. I have heard the harsh words said, to a women who is plus sized, and just minding her own business, "she just needs to stop eating so much." I have seen the looks of disgust as a man walks into a fancy situation in a T shirt and jeans 

We will most likely will never know someone's full story. So we really don't have the right to judge what we will never truly understand.  I'm still guilty of judging, but My situation has helped me look beyond people's covers.. those who I would have use to judge by their appearance, have actually turned out to be some of the greatest people I have ever met. 

Next time your judging a book by its cover, think of me, Smile Magee and you may see things differently.

Until next time, stay strong and SMILE ON :)

Comments

  1. So very proud of each post! :-) Remember my zombie looking, scaling face? I tried my best to get people to make eye contact. Not many did. We have to use what we have for our daily mission field.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti