Skip to main content

Why Birthdays are a Big Deal for Someone with Chronic Illness


( this post was previously published on https://themighty.com

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1coc7UIf59E7OsdFECD4cA0wWGyGg0xDl

My best friend and I where in a fight, but I needed someone to talk to. My head was spinning from the reality of the situation I was in, and I needed someone to be my anchor.

I called my best friend sobbing, and left a message similar to this:

“I need to talk. I went to a GI doctor appointment today and it was an absolute failure. They still can’t figure out what’s going on, and I can honestly feel myself slipping away. I don’t honestly know if I’m going to survive this. I don’t know if I’m going to live much longer. And I just don’t know what to do.”

I was 19 when I made this phone call.

My weight kept on dropping. I couldn’t keep anything down. My hair was falling out. My urine was full of ketones (which meant my body was using fat for energy instead of glucose because I didn’t have enough insulin in my blood). I was completely IV-dependent for nutrition. Different parts of my body where beginning to “malfunction.” And not a single doctor could tell me why.

I was dying, and no doctor could tell me why.

At that time in my life, I didn’t think I would make it to the age of 20. And tomorrow, I have the absolute privilege of turning 22.

When people ask, “Why are you so big on birthdays?!” I tell them it’s because I didn’t realize how valuable and what a blessing aging is until I realized that privilege could have been taken away from me.

When I look back on my life, and reflect on all the times I could have died, it’s astounding. Right now I am alive because of a medical treatment we found by accident! I also live in a body that is constantly attacking itself, and lately I’m really noticing the reality of that honestly terrifying situation.

It seems as though with each doctor appointment I go to, the news about my health gets less and less “optimistic.” And it’s truly made me realize how lucky I am each day I wake up with a beating heart and semi-functional organs. And one day that luck could end.

The gift which is life could be taken away from any of us, healthy or not, at any moment.

So as long as I get the gift of a pulse and air in my lungs, I’m going to treat birthdays and life in general like they are a very big deal. I’m going to celebrate every time I survive another year and I’m going to celebrate when people I love have the same accomplishment.

I’m going to love each wrinkle and laugh line and gray hair I have the privilege of receiving – because not everyone gets the privilege of growing older.

Life isn’t a promise. It’s a gift.

I’m determined to take this gift of life I’ve been given and love and use it fully, until that fateful day it’s taken from me.  #smileon🐷

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricanes and rainbows- An Ode to 2016

  I've heard it said that some of the prettiest rainbows you will ever see, will be after a hurricane has happened. That statement for me perfectly sums up my 2016  My New Years resolution for 2016 was literally " don't die"  So the storm was already pounding down hard. But During 2016 there were days were I could feel myself fading away, and would pray with all my Might that I could live another day. And for the first time in my life. In 2016 There were days that I would pray for my life to end because I just couldn't take being so sick anymore. During 2016 the storm literally became so strong, that it almost washed me away.  But as promised, there is always a rainbow after every storm. Angels were sent my way during 2016. When I wanted to die, and I was crying harder than I ever had before in a tiny hospital chapel. Heavenly Father showed me that there was so so much to live for. During 3 of the hardest months of my life.  Where I was tho

Smile Magee History... When I discovered I wasn't like every other kid

For my first blog post ( yay! :D )  I'm going to throw it way back in Smile Magee History to when I was 8 years old and discovered that I wasn't like every other kid. I honestly don't remember a day when I wasn't in pain. For as long as I can remember Parts of my body always hurt.  I knew that since I was always super tall for my age, the dr told my parents that as I stopped growing taller. My muscles would finally catch up me and I would end up being a bit less spastic, and for example be  able to finally catch a ball when it was thrown to me . So I thought that  possibly  as I grew older, and as my muscles caught up with my height, that the pain just might go away. I have to admit  A huge part of me thought since my body always hurt, mabey everyone else's bodies hurt to.  In second grade I learned that wasn't the case...  It was a picture perfect spring day. I was in an elementary PE class that was accurately named named "fit kids" Our

Dear future husband: From a girl with chronic illness

I saw a blog that was a girls letter to her future husband. I honestly i just couldn't relate to it. So I decided to get real tonight and write my own version of it. I hope you can relate. And I hope it reminds you that you deserve true love. Someone who holds on to his end of in sickness in health. Who will love you for better for worse and for eternity. Fight for your fairytale and smile on.  Dear future husband : I'm so excited for you. I pray for you often. But in all honesty I fear you. I fear you won't be able to handle " all this". That you will love the lanky outgoing girl with a bright smile. But you won't be able to handle this monster of an invisible illness that I've carried with me most of my life.. I fear that you will love me at my best. But not to be able to handle me at my worst, and believe me there are going to be a lot of medical worst.  Some of the easier times will be hours  spent in Hospitals and Drs offices. There will be ti